I’m a huge advocate of investing in your own wellbeing whether it’s hiring a coach or going on retreat or going yoga or taking cooking classes or learning to meditate. Getting these foundational tools are key to taking care of yourself.
But there are also a bunch of things you can do daily and weekly that don’t cost any money that can bring you feelings of peace, calm, inspiration, self-acceptance and joy. Here’s 20 of them:
- Ditch your phone and read a book (free if you got it from the library!)
- Find a park or pretty spot in your backyard, grab a blanket and plant yourself on the ground and soak up the beauty. Even 5 minutes of this will lift your mood.
- Give yourself a tennis ball massage. Seriously.
- Crank up the speakers or put in your earbuds (close yourself in a room if you need to), find a song you love and move your booty, I mean body.
- Take a nap.
- Get rid of clothes that don’t fit or make you feel shitty about your body or uncomfortable in your body.
- Cut some flowers, herbs or leafy branches from your yard and put them in a vase.
- Clean out and organize a cupboard or a drawer.
- Turn on some music while you cook dinner (if you’re like me, pretend you’re somewhere Italy doing it)
- Weather permitting, enjoy a meal outside with people you like or alone!
- Get those legs up the wall - this is great when transitioning from work to home or from parenting to relaxing in the evening.
- Let yourself geek out on something for the joy of it. Often we put off things that don’t make us feel productive, which means we might be denying ourself joy. Look at art, watch beauty videos on YouTube, read poetry, go bird watching.
- Write a gratitude list, go ahead and see how long you can make it and how you can pull yourself out of a funk or negative self-talk.
- Find water, get in it. A pool, a bathtub, a river, a creek, a lake, the ocean, a hot tub, a hot spring.
- Forgive yourself.
- Forgive someone else.
- Invite a friend out for a walk.
- Go to sleep early…or earlier.
- Get creative. Color, draw, paint, craft. It doesn’t have to be good and nobody has to see it, just make something. Hit up pinterest for ideas.
- Make a vision board! It can be general or specific to one part of your life. Or make one for each part of your life. Put those leftover magazines to good use!
What are some other free and simple things you do to align yourself and practice self-care? Which of these are calling to you? When will you carve out the time and space to do them?